Queen announced as 2019 mid-year rock chart leader, with biopic soundtrack Bohemian Rhapsody in the No. 1 position and their The biggest hits parcel at n°2.
Nielsen Music figures for the period from January 4 to June 20, as reported by Billboardcredited the soundtrack with 705,000 equivalent album units and the compilation with 385,000. Further down the chart, Elton John was fourth, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were seventh, and Journey was ninth.
You can see the full list below.
Notably, all of these titles are collections and not original LPs, although younger bands Panic! at the Disco, Imagine Dragons, Hozier, and Vampire Weekend have all appeared on the card with original releases. Nielsen reported that the rock genre generated 63.5 million equivalent album unit sales during the period, accounting for 21% of the 305.2 million total sales.
In terms of single album sales, without the complex system of converting digital streaming and purchasing equivalent units, Queen retained the first and second positions in the chart and also took fourth place with Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection. This Top 10 also included Vampire Weekend, Hozier, Weezer, Gary Clark Jr., Greta Van Fleet and Bob Seger.
In May, it was reported that the success of Bohemian Rhapsody had increased revenue from the Queen’s catalog from $4.4 million in the six months before its release to $18 million in the following six months.
Queen + Adam Lambert’s new tour begins this month. You can get more information here.
Top 10 Rock Albums of Mid-Year 2019 (Including Equivalent Albums)
1. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody (Soundtrack) – 705,000
2. Queen, The biggest hits – 385,000
3. Panic! At the disco, pray for the wicked – 354,000
4.Elton John, Diamonds – 334,000
5. Imagine dragons, To evolve – 289,000
6. Imagine dragons, Origins – 280,000
7. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, best of all – 258,000
8. Hozier, Wasteland, baby! – 243,000
9. Travel, The biggest hits – 238,000
10. Vampire Weekend, The father of the bride – 227,000
Top 10 Best Selling Rock Albums Mid-Year 2019 (Single Sales Only)
1. Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody (Soundtrack) – 253,000
2. Queen, The biggest hits – 152,000
3. Vampire Weekend, The father of the bride – 148,000
4. Queen, Greatest Hits I II & III: The Platinum Collection – 135,000
5. Hozier, Wasteland, baby! – 129,000
6. Weezer, Weezer (teal album) – 103,000
7. Gary Clark Jr., This earth – 91,000
8. Soundtrack, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 – 84,000
9. Greta Van Fleet, Pacific Army Anthem – 80,000
10. Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, The biggest hits – 79,000